Sunday, November 7, 2010

southerntreats blogspot

Mad Max's Smoked Brisket Chili...

This was a first time experiment, which went beyond, my expectations. It was suppose to be entry for a chili-cook-off, at the harvest festival, in our community. Having undergone a heart transplant, within the last 2 weeks, I was ready to get back, to one of the things, I love best. With the support and love of my lovely wife, I started thinking how can I go all out. Still having several packers, in the freezers, I decided to smoke a brisket and chop it up, to use in my chili. I smoked a 12 lb. packer and trimmed it very tightly, in an effort to get the most even cook, possible. I used mesquite wood, for a hardy smoky flavor, which will pull through, in the chili. I used my kettle, using the"fast and hot" method, using reg. Kingsford charcoal. The brisket took about 3.5-4.0 hours, from start to finish. I foiled, at 160 internal, and then back on the kettle, till it reached 190 internal. After resting, in the cooler, for about 2 hours, I started to slice and chop up about 4 lbs. of brisket. Then I gathered some favorite ingredients and started to think of what I like in a chili and what I don't and came up with this recipe, which I tweaked at the end, when I wasn't getting what I wanted. This recipe won 1st. place in a field of 15 recipes, all were amateur cooks (at least, to the best of my knowledge) and had some very happy friends and neighbors. BTW, the brisket was rubbed with salt, black pepper and granulated garlic.
1 tsp. Chipotle Chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano (grounded up)
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, finely grounded
1 package Hormel center cut bacon, rendered the fat and saved, for the onions
5 links of chorizo, fried and thinly sliced(or andouille sausage)
2 cups beef broth
2 cans 14.5 fired roasted diced tomatoes
1 can 7oz. chopped green chilies, with liquid
1 can 7oz. Chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, sliced
1 med. onion diced and sautéed, in the bacon fat.
1 tbsp. crushed garlic
1 can 6oz. tomato paste
12oz. dark stout beer
3 tsp. granulated sugar
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp. Plowboy's Bovine Bold Rub
3-4 #'s of previously smoked Brisket (cubbed)
2 cans pinto beans
Renderer the bacon strips and then save the strips, to use as garnish. Sautéed the onions and garlic, in the same skillet, using the reserved bacon fat. Once the onions and garlic become translucent, over med. heat, remove the onions into the slow cooker. Using the reserve fat, in the skillet, use it to fry up the chorizo or andouille sausage. Once the sausage is fried up, slice it thin and into the slow cooker. Put in your brisket, and start to add the rest of your ingredients. Hold off on the sugar, honey and Plowboy's Bovine Bold, till the 4 hour mark, taste as you go and adjust to your liking. I try to control the sodium content and usually add the last ingredients, if needed.
This chili has a bit of heat, if you prefer a milder version, then cut down on the chilies, and red pepper. Use half a can, of the chipotle pepper, instead of a full can. Start the slow cooker in high and let it do it's thing. It usually takes about 5 to 6 hours. If you have time restraints, try using a cast iron pot over low to med. heat.
When it is done, serve warm, with the crumbled bacon, on top. I also suggest dicing some cilantro on the top for color, flavor and presentation. Serve along with your favorite toppings, sour cream, shredded cheese or tortilla chips. Hope you enjoy and that it serves you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment