Wednesday, September 12, 2012

MamaShed All Good Pie...

Last week going through a tin recipe box belonging to my stepmother (of 50 yrs) that passed away, I found this old recipe card (pictured below) belonging to her mother Grandma Ruth. I remember as a child both of them making this together on special occasions. As their story goes, this pie came about during the depression. There are many versions of this in the South stemming from folks using ingredients that where available to them by trade or bartering. Grandma Ruth bartered with tons of pecans for a handful of raisins. This is her old school Tampa recipe from us to you. We hope you enjoy it!

All Good Pie

Regular pie crust (not deep dish) forked and browned.
1 stick melted butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (recipe calls for mixed nuts) It is probably what was available.
1/2 cup raisins (I like the golden ones)
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon All Spice
1 teaspoon Nutmeg

Mix together, put in pie crust and bake @ 375 for 10 minutes then (see note on original recipe) 324 for 30. I don't know where that 324 came from but buddy I'll tell ya, that is what I set my oven on, you don't mess with Ms. Ruth.

Hope you enjoy it!
MamaShed and the Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment