Bill Smith, Sr. opened his cafe in McKinney in 1956. Photo Courtesy of Jeanette Smith & Jack Suggs.
A bunch of new restaurants have sprouted up around McKinney’s old town square. And then there is legendary Bill Smith’s, McKinney’s oldest restaurant, serving down-home breakfast and lunch since 1956, when founder Bill Smith opened it in the middle of a cotton patch. It’s now run by Bill Smith Jr. and his children, yet you get the sense that not much has changed. The metal signs on the wall and the old-fashioned clock have practically been there since the place opened. Happily what has not changed is the cafe’s policy to make the food from scratch, including all of the pies, rolls, and biscuits. Breakfast includes waffles, omelets, French toast, and the house specialty: Bill’s Hash Brown Supreme, hash browns topped with scrambled eggs, ham, onion, and cheese. As reliable as the sun itself, the restaurant is open 365 days a year.
McKinney’s oldest restaurant opened in August 1956. They still make food from scratch, including all of the pies, rolls, and biscuits.
Bill Smith's Cafe is an old-fashioned, small town café, in business for over 50 years in historic McKinney, Collin County, Texas.
Just like mamma make's it.