Friday, June 3, 2011

Grill the Perfect Steak for Father's Day...

Grillin' for Dad on Father's Day

Friday, June 3, 2011
In this issue:
The Perfect Ribeye Steak
Chicken Trimming Video
The BBQ Rub.


Trimming Chicken

Shot a little video this past weekend of "Trimming Chicken for KCBS Contest"

You can check-out the video at: http://youtu.be/IfZVnSrIjwc

The BBQ Rub.



Click Here To Visit The Website:

The BBQ Rub.



A Great Present for Dad on Father's Day

The first weekend of June is always a big weekend for me. Not only is one of my favorite KCBS contest held on this weekend, but it's also Father's Day. I'm always scrambling the entire week. Memphis in May was just a few short weeks earlier and all of my equipment has to be reorganized for KCBS style cooking. This entails sorting cooking totes, downsizing equipment that I won't need, and shopping for all the essentials for the contest. I also have to think about what I'm going to do for my Dad on Sunday after the contest.

Now don't get me wrong my Dad is not a hard man to please. I don't have to buy him a new tie or cheesy pen and pencil set. He would be happy just sitting down and shooting the breeze for a while. So, this year I'm going over for a visit, and I'm gonna cook him a rib eye steak just the way he likes it.

My Dad is a “meat purist” of sorts. He doesn't care for fancy marinades, glazes, or rubs. He doesn't understand why we inject all sorts of “junk” into perfectly butchered meat. My Dad wants his meat seasoned with a little salt and pepper and cooked over hot coals. He says, “Good meat doesn’t need any of that other crap!” So I had my butcher trim some beautiful 16oz prime rib eyes, and I'm going to cook them on my 22.5” Weber kettle.

When I cook steaks for myself, I like to marinate them in a little worcestershire, soy sauce, and Moore's marinade for a couple of hours. Then I season both sides with Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Seasoned Salt, Black Pepper, and a dash of Greek Seasoning. I've found this combination makes for a very tasty steak. My Dad would probably eat a steak cooked this way, but he would complain about the flavor of the meat being hid by all the other ingredients.

Here's how I plan to cook a ribeye for Father's Day:

Start off with a full charcoal chimney of coals and use a piece of newspaper to get it going. While waiting on the coals to get hot, take the steaks out of the refrigerator and let them come up to outside temperature (this takes about 30 minutes). Once the coals are hot, pour them into the grill and spread out evenly. I want a real hot fire because I'm searing these steaks.

Before placing the ribeyes on the grate, I'll brush them with just a touch of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper. That's all that's going on 'em; it's that simple.

Now they're ready for the grill. I like to lay the steaks at a 45 degree angle on the rack. After two minutes, I give the steaks a ¼ turn. This will produce the diamond pattern that you see on restaurant steaks. Once they've cooked a total of 4 minutes on one side, flip them over and do the same thing for another 4 minutes.

Now for me,the steak is ready to come off the grill. 8 minutes on a hot grill is all that a 1” steak needs if you like to eat them Medium Rare. Some people like to cook steak a little longer and that's fine. Hey, if that's the way you like em'... I'm not gonna laugh at you – not to your face anyway.

After I take the steaks off the grill, I let them rest for at least 5 minutes. This step lets the meat and the juices stabilize. And you need to expect the steaks will have a little carry over cooking too. If you cut into them without resting, most of the juices will run out and the steak will seem dry. A general rule of thumb is to rest all meat before slicing.

This is the easiest way to cook a steak, but it really produces a flavorful piece of meat. Starting with a good quality cut is the key. Beef is wonderful by itself, and I understand why some people enjoy it this way.

Add some sauteed mushrooms, a baked potato and a good, crusty bread... and you have yourself one hell of a father's day gift.

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's!

And, as always, if you have any more questions just email me at Malcom@killerhogs.com

The BBQ Rub.

It has taken us a couple of years to finally be able to sell our rub... but all the hard work has finally paid off.

We now have our competition-quality BBQ Rub for sale.





Visit our website and check it out!

http://www.killerhogs.com/thebbqrub.html

HowtoBBQright.com| killerhogs.com| My BBQ Blog

Howtobbqright.com Malcom Reed Killer Hogs BBQ Team malcom@killerhogs.com



Malcom Reed
Killer Hogs BBQ
PO Box 4267
Southaven, MS 38671

No comments:

Post a Comment